41-Year-Old Juan Carlos Perez Found Guilty Of Killing Friend In South Pasadena

On Friday, 41-year-old Juan Carlos Perez was convicted by an Alhambra jury for shooting his friend in the head 8 years ago.

The murder happened in South Pasadena and he succeeded in escaping from the cops until he was taken into custody in Illinois for an offense that was not linked to the murder, said Sarah Ardalani, spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

According to the prosecutors, Perez used to live in Los Angeles when he shot his friend and got arrested. He was a Guatemalan national who had been living in the United States for almost 12 months. When the cops ran his fingerprints, they came to know that he was wanted for a shooting incident that happened on 22nd November 2009 which left 35-year-old Noe Martinez-Quinone dead.

Ardalani added that jurors deliberated a little more than 2 hours before finding Perez guilty of first-degree murder. A special allegation was also revealed to be true that Perez personally and intentionally fired a gun, which caused great bodily injury and death of his friend.

In an interview that was taken in 2009, detective Karen Shonka told that 2 men went to a baby shower. They met up with buddies to enjoy drinks at a restaurant in Los Angeles and went out of the restaurant on 22nd of November at around 2 a.m.

After almost 2 hours, at around 4:20 a.m., a white Toyota Corolla with hazed windows was seen by a South Pasadena cop that was parked on the side of the road in the 1000 block of Arroyo Drive. When the cop approached the car, the individual behind the wheel of the car rolled down the window and spoke briefly with the cop in a Spanish accent that was hard to understand, but he was telling something about a girlfriend. Then he immediately got out of the car and ran away. The cop searched the car and found the dead body of Martinez-Quinone in the passenger seat.

A gun holster was also found under the driver’s seat and two 9mm spent casings in the back seat of the car, which was registered to Perez.

An arrest warrant for Perez was issued on 10th December, 2009.

He was taken into custody in late 2010 by law enforcement in Westmont for the offense which was not linked to the homicide in any way, said Ardalani. The California warrant was discovered when cops checked his fingerprints.

He was sent back to California.

He remains in custody of the police at the Twin Towers Correctional Facility in Los Angeles and his bail was set at $2 million.

He is summoned to court on 11th of August for the hearing at Alhambra Superior Court and he may have to spend 50 years in jail for the murder offense.

The reason why he shot his friend 2 times in his head is not known and the motive behind the murder was not discussed in court, so no one knows the cause of the murder.

News Source: www.PasadenaStarNews.com

Share this Article

Paul

About the Author

The Law Office of Paul S. Geller is committed to provide aggressive and uncompromising DUI & Criminal defense representation throughout Los Angeles & Pasadena.

Contact Us Get Help Now